set its foot on the market, the whole face of socializing changed now. For the first time in history, individual beings have got such a platform where they could share their feelings, ideas or messages to any set of audience/ individual, almost instantly.
Modern perceptions of social media
According to recent perceptions (when social media is considered to be one that is internet based), Social media are computer-mediated and internet-based technologies which facilitate creation and sharing of ideas, information, and different forms of expression. It is a very subjective term, and social media must adhere to the following criterion:
- They are interactive and based on web 2.0 based applications
- Lifeblood of social media is the user-generated content (e.g., text posts, comments, digital videos or photos, and links)
- There are individual profiles for each user, which are designed and maintained by the social media organization
- It provides options to facilitate the development of the connection between two individuals or group.
Difference between social media and social network
People assume social media and social network to be synonymous, but that is not true. From the above listed four factors, the social network has a goal of achieving only the last one. In this way, the social network is a subset of social media. The real essence of social media lies in making communication and media into interactive user experience whereas social network only has the goal of connecting a different set of people.
How has Internet social media changed our lives?
Precursors of online social media have their roots far back to 1979 when Usenet systems provided liberty to the users to post articles/ posts. It was followed by BBSs (bulletin board systems) which was mainly in the news for illicit and illegal practices. Then, after the onset of IRC, ICQ and Instant Messaging facilities, social networking site, Six Degrees hit the market which set a ripple in technological fields, this was followed by websites like Black Planet, MySpace and, the big jackpot, Facebook.
In 2019, there will likely be an estimated total of around the globe. With a huge number of users connecting daily on social media, it has impacted, rather drastically changed, the world in many ways. There are many criticizers and many supporters of social media, so, to set aside the confusion whether it is good or bad, we arrive with a catalogue of points of different impacts of social media:
- Surveys indicate that 62% of US adults get their news from social media
- Due to massive traffic and audience base on social media, political campaigns are greatly influenced by it. Election of first African- American president, Barak Obama was a perfect specimen of that influence
- It has been extensively argued that social media is killing real activism and that is getting replaced by ‘slacktivism.’ Slacktivism implies for the actions performed on the internet in support or resistance to specific political or social cause.
- Improved cross order connections particularly among the masses. It can be accepted without any doubt that, social media has enabled people from many corners of the world to connect and share ideas for free. In older days, for cross-border meetings/ communications, one had either to be present physically or to pay dear ISD rates.
- Provides immediate access to information: This factor, on the one hand, has encouraged the improper and illegal use of information, on the other hand, has enabled people with common interests to meet.
- The immoral use of anonymity: Though anonymity has been helpful for some (e.g., LGBTQ community in conservative societies), it has enabled pranksters, trolls, to spread negativity on such platforms.
- Helped people with varied talents get deserved platforms: You Tubers or Facebook page creators earn money via advertising and other sources. Moreover, thus it has enabled people to take diverse interests (from roasting to dance). It has helped many people earn enormous amounts and get themselves free from .The advertising industry is now heavily based on social media.
- Cyberbullying and trolling: Day- to- day, celebrities/ people are becoming victims of such instances of bullying and trolling. Too much liberty provided by the social media has this as one biggest downside. There have been many cases of bullying/ trolling related suicides.
From all the factors mentioned above, it is pretty simple to assume that social media has its own pros and cons. However, it is quite clear, as well, that advantages outrightly overweigh the disadvantages. There are many ways to prevent cases of data theft. With social media companies, evolving daily with user-centric data, social media is expected to change the way of life for good in future further.
Kelly Wilson is an experienced and skilled Business Consultant and Financial advisor in the USA. She helps clients both personal and professional in building plans.During her spare time, she loves to write on Business, Finance, Marketing, Social Media. She loves to share her knowledge and Experts tips with her readers.
If you would like to have your company featured in the Irish Tech News Business Showcase, get in contact with us at or on Twitter: @SimonCocking